Thank you for your interest in the Center for Kidney Research and Therapeutics (CKRT). Our center’s work is complex, but our vision is simple – to develop personalized therapies to eliminate the inconvenience of all kidney diseases for our patients.
The CKRT is built on a strong foundation of a robust and diverse research and clinical portfolio of our current members. We are at the very forefront of understanding:
- How vascular development and derangement may contribute to the initiation and deterioration of many kidney diseases
- How dietary phosphate and its regulatory endocrine loop may contribute to enhanced renal and cardiovascular risks and health disparity
- How genetic and environmental risks contribute to dialysis access failures
- How one’s immune system can be coaxed to accept a transplant organ without rejection
- How stem cell technology can be utilized for repairing organ damages
The CKRT will now serve as a common platform for our members to access the latest tools and concepts, and to jumpstart and nurture research collaborations within CKRT, Northwestern and beyond. In this process, the CKRT will serve as a catalysts for our members to interact with the NU Innovation and New Ventures Office (INVO), biotechnology/pharmaceutical entities, and regulatory agencies to develop an accelerated path for discovery translation that ultimately benefit our kidney patients of Northwestern Medicine. A longer-term goal of the CKRT is to develop a comprehensive infrastructure of clinical research for conducting randomized clinical trials (RCTs) to adequately evaluate the efficacy of the therapies we develop.
Last but not least, education of the next generation scientists, physician scientists and clinicians is always one of our top priorities, and the CKRT will leverage appropriate resources to attract top candidates from our broad research and clinical communities to join forces with us in our quest for a cure for kidney diseases.
I am excited about the opportunities I see for collaboration and success in our center. We welcome your interest and feedback. Contact us for more information about our center.
Xunrong Luo, MD, PhD
Director of the Center for Kidney Research and Therapeutics
Professor in Medicine-Nephrology, Microbiology-Immunology, and Surgery-Organ Transplantation